Revelation - Part 18
“The New Testament word for ‘witness’ is the same as for ‘martyr’...They didn’t survive. Yet they left a witness. The purpose of the church cannot be to survive or even to thrive but to serve. And sometimes servants die in the serving.”
Erwin McManus, An Unstoppable Force
“Living to magnify Christ is costly...But suffering with Jesus on the Calvary road of love is not merely the result of magnifying Christ; it is also the means...His beauty shines most brightly when treasured above health and wealth and life itself.”
John Piper, Don’t Waste Your Life
What Does the ________ Think of ___________ When They Look at ______?
Questions for the Heart and Spirit
- What does it mean to “bear witness”? Do you “bear witness”? When? How do you do it? Are you a true witness or a false witness?
- Why is our justice system so dependent upon witnesses? Is there a Biblical bases for using witnesses in our justice system? Can you cite some scripture ?
- Upon what premise does the entire system of utilizing witnesses depend? Do you think this premise is true in our Justice system today? Why or Why not?
- What are some of the factors that might cause or persuade you to be a false witness?
Questions for the Mind
- 1. READ: Rev 11:1-2; Ezek 40:1-43; Lk 21:20-24; Rev 21:15-17 What was the significance of the outer court in the Jewish Temple? For what purpose was it used? Why do you think the measurements were so important?
- 2. READ: Rev 11:3-4; Zech 4:3-14; Do you think these two scripture passages refer to the same individuals? Why or why not?
- 3. READ: 1 Tim 5:19; Heb 12:1; Num 35:30; Deut 19:15 Do the two witnesses of Revelation 11, meet Gods qualifications for witnesses? What was their testimony? Why do you think the Beast wanted to kill them? Would your testimony get you in similar trouble?
- 4. READ: Heb 9:27; Gen 5:21-24; 2 Kings 2:9-12; Matt 17:3; Zech 4:3-14; Deut 34:1-7; Who are these two witnesses? Speculation abounds, but who meets the criteria? Do the powers they have sound familiar? Where did this power come from? Could it be given to just anybody? Give reasons for your conclusions.
- 5. READ: Rev 11:7; 13:1-4; Who is this beast from the Abyss? From whom does he receive his power to kill the witnesses?
- Prepare yourself for being a witness of Gods work in your life. Be ready to share your testimony with your study group, then share it.
- Share your testimony with someone outside your group.